Maternity Leave Benefits (MLB) insurance is a maternity protection scheme that grants working women (mothers) their full (100%) remuneration while on a 12 week maternity leave.
Maternity leave duration
Remuneration during maternity leave
- Sufficient leave for pregnancy and childbirth recovery; exclusive breastfeeding for the baby’s health and development, attachment and care;
- Full salary;
- One additional month of benefits in case of delivery complications, necessitating prolonged maternity leave.
- Must be on maternity leave;
Must have contributed at least 1 month preceding the month in which maternity leave starts;
Present a medical certificate of delivery.
All workers governed by labor law, by general statutes for public service or by special statutes.
- 0.6% of Gross salary
- 0.3% employer’s share
- 0.3% employee’s share.
If an employee has more than one employer, each remits contributions.
The employer shall pay 12 weeks’ wages. At end of period, the employer requests RSSB reimbursement for the last 6 weeks of maternity leave.
The request for reimbursement form shall be filled by the employer and accompanied by:
- Application for maternity leave benefits form signed by the woman who delivered;
- A copy of identity card/passport of the insured woman;
- A document from the employer stating that the woman was on maternity leave;
- Detailed pay slips related to the maternity leave period signed by both employee and employer and stamped;
- An original copy of the medical certificate of delivery;
- A medical certificate justifying the extension of leave;
- A guardianship certificate.
When to submit the request for benefits reimbursement
Within 6 months from beginning of maternity leave.
Within 30 days from reception date of reimbursement request. .
Calculated based on last woman’s salary during maternity leave to which the contribution was subscribed.